An insurance agent talks to a woman outside on the road after a car accident from drinking alcohol.

Accused of DWI Probation Violation?

What Happens if I am accused of a Minnesota DWI Probation Violation:  When someone is convicted of a DWI, whether through a guilty plea or after a trial, the individual is placed on probation. For misdemeanor DWIs, the probationary period is 1-2 years. For gross misdemeanor DWIs, the probationary period is generally 2-5 years, although the probationary period can be for as many as 6 years. For counties in the Twin Cities metro area, a probationary period for 3rd degree DWI is usually 3-4 years. For 2nd Degree DWI, the probationary period is typically 4-5 years. For gross misdemeanor DWIs (3rd or 2nd Degree), the individual will usually be placed on supervised probation. Sometimes this supervision will require random testing for alcohol use, along with other intensive supervision. With the right attorney, you can work to get unsupervised probation for a misdemeanor DWI and, in some instances, unsupervised or lightly supervised (i.e. no random testing or monitoring requirements) for gross misdemeanor DWIs.

  But what happens if you violate your probation? That depends on, among other things: (1) the nature of the violation (2) the number of previous violations and (3) what county is supervising your probation. Generally speaking, the most common probation violations on DWI offenses are the following:

1. Failure to complete STS, EHM, or community service.

Sometimes, people don’t complete their STS (sentence to service), Electronic Home Monitoring, or community service on time. Ideally, everyone would complete these requirements on time. If you’ve been given the option of STS or EHM in lieu of jail, you should do everything you can to complete the task on time. If you can’t, then try to reschedule with your probation officer.

If the individual violates the probation agreement by failing to complete STS or EHM on time, the Court will either give the person additional STS or EHM to complete, or order the balance of the uncompleted time converted to jail time (i.e., if you failed to complete 5 days of STS, then the Court will order you to do 5 days of jail instead).

2. Failure to abstain from alcohol.

The penalty for failure to abstain from alcohol depends on the county. For a first violation in a metro county, the penalty will usually vary from additional treatment and additional Electronic Home monitoring to a few days in jail. Some counties, such as Wright County, always ask for jail time for failure to abstain from alcohol, even on a first violation.

If there are multiple violations for failure to abstain from alcohol, the Court will likely order the individual to do some jail time. Depending on the amount of previous violation, the Court may order the sentence executed (i.e., the person serves 365 days jail on a 3rd degree or 2nd degree DWI, or 90 days on a misdemeanor DWI).

3. Failure to remain law abiding, as a result of a non-DWI offense.

The penalty for this type of DWI Probation Violation all depends on the offense. If the offense is something minor, like a petty misdemeanor littering charge, there will probably be no penalty. If the offense is a similar charge to DWI, or involves alcohol or drugs, the penalty will range from additional jail time to an executed sentence.

4. Failure to remain law abiding, because of a new DWI offense.

If the individual is charged with a new DWI while on probation, the prosecutor will likely ask to execute the person’s sentence.  If you need help on a DWI Probation Violation, contact a qualified, Experienced Minnesota DWI Criminal Defense Attorney right away!

He has won jury trial cases in misdemeanor and felony cases and in DWI’s and non-DWI’s. He is a member of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, which only allows the top 50 criminal defense attorneys in the state as members. He is a frequent speaker at CLE’s and is often asked for advice by other defense attorneys across Minnesota.

What to Do If You Have Been Charged with a Criminal Offense

Involve a criminal appeal attorney soon after you learn the prosecution is appealing your sentence. Your attorney will walk you through the involving and confusing sentencing guidelines. An attorney's involvement will also help you develop a defense strategy for the appeal.