Second Degree DWI Charge for Woman seeking Criminal Lawyer in Minnesota

Sina Julie Yim was charged with endangerment of a child and two counts of second degree driving while impaired in Apple Valley, MN. She was pulled over with her six-year-old son in her vehicle in Dakota County. The Lakeville police saw her swerving and following other cars too closely. Yim smelled like alcohol and admitted to drinking prior to driving. The police conducted sobriety tests. They also gave Yim a preliminary breath test (“PBT). The PBT showed a purported value of .27. The legal limit to drive in Minnesota is .08. Yim was taken into custody and the child’s father came to pick him up. Yim may face up to three years in jail and/or a $9000 fine. Yim will need a criminal lawyer in Minnesota to help her with her case.
What is second degree DUI?
There are four levels of DUI in Minnesota. Fourth, third, second, and first degree (felony DUI). DUI’s are an enhanceable offense. This means that a prior DUI will be used as an aggravating factor if you get another DUI in the future. There are other ways to get an enhancement such as if the alcohol concentration is .20 or more or if there are children in the vehicle. Here, because Yim had her six year old child in her car and tested a .27, she was charged with second degree DUI. Yim had two aggravating factors in her case which led to the Gross Misdemeanor DUI charge.
Max Keller handles many alcohol related offenses in Minnesota. He is a criminal lawyer in Minnesota. Keller Law Offices offers free consultations for their clients. He has 17 years of experience as a criminal lawyer in Minnesota. Call 952-913-1421 to talk with a criminal lawyer. Keller Law Offices has two criminal lawyers licensed in Minnesota.

He has won jury trial cases in misdemeanor and felony cases and in DWI’s and non-DWI’s. He is a member of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, which only allows the top 50 criminal defense attorneys in the state as members. He is a frequent speaker at CLE’s and is often asked for advice by other defense attorneys across Minnesota.

What to Do If You Have Been Charged with a Criminal Offense

Involve a criminal appeal attorney soon after you learn the prosecution is appealing your sentence. Your attorney will walk you through the involving and confusing sentencing guidelines. An attorney's involvement will also help you develop a defense strategy for the appeal.