Stillwater man charged with procuring alcohol for a minor

Minnesota law sets the legal age to drink at 21. Many young adults may be aware of underage drinking laws, but as the summer is nearing its unofficial end, many people are getting ready for a new school year. New college students and those returning to college for another year may be preparing for dorm life.

While the underage drinking laws prohibit both underage consumption and possession, the statutes go further to prohibit proving alcohol to a minor. Some college students are obviously 21-years-old or more, but may still run into allegations brought related to underage drinking under some circumstances.

A 22-year-old Stillwater man is accused of alleged criminal offenses after authorities were called to his home recently. Stillwater Police claim that the man was drinking alcohol in his parent’s home recently with a 21-year-old friend. Two young women were also in the home. The parents say that when they came home, they went to bed. A commotion awoke the couple, according to Stillwater police.

Law enforcement was called to the residence. Police claim that a 15-year-old young woman was unconscious, intoxicated and had vomited in the residence. She is a friend of a 19-year-old woman who police say was also in the home, and had brought the younger woman to the house.

Authorities say that the 22-year-old had brought his 21-year-old friend home, and when he returned, police were present, according to the Stillwater Gazette. Police believe that the man had given the young woman alcohol. He is charged with providing alcohol to an underage person and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Source: Stillwater Gazette, “Intoxicated teen leads to charges,” Aug. 14, 2013

He has won jury trial cases in misdemeanor and felony cases and in DWI’s and non-DWI’s. He is a member of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, which only allows the top 50 criminal defense attorneys in the state as members. He is a frequent speaker at CLE’s and is often asked for advice by other defense attorneys across Minnesota.

What to Do If You Have Been Charged with a Criminal Offense

Involve a criminal appeal attorney soon after you learn the prosecution is appealing your sentence. Your attorney will walk you through the involving and confusing sentencing guidelines. An attorney's involvement will also help you develop a defense strategy for the appeal.