Drug Crime Lawyer
A Minnesota drug crime charge involves any allegation of possessing, manufacturing, and trafficking, buying, selling or distributing an illegal controlled substance. Drug crimes can involve illegal drugs like cocaine, marijuana, and heroin, but they can also involve prescription drugs that are not prescribed to the user and simulated drugs.
As a result of societal and political pressures, the police and prosecutors are cracking down on drug crimes, with little regard for defendants’ legal rights and adequate evidence proving the crime. Drug crimes – whether misdemeanor drug charges or felony drug charges – can involve significant penalties and can cause serious damage to a person’s reputation and livelihood. Accordingly, it is important to hire an experienced and tenacious Minnesota drug crime defense attorney.
At Keller Law Offices, our Twin Cities drug crime lawyers are dedicated to defending persons charged with Minnesota drug crimes, including drug possession, drug sales, drug trafficking, and drug manufacturing.
Minnesota Drug Crime Classifications
Drug possession charges vary depending on the type and amount of drugs in possession. Minnesota drug crimes are classified the following five categories:
- First degree drug possession – punishable by up to $1 million in fines and 30 years in prison
- Second degree drug possession – punishable by up to $500,000 in fines and 25 years in prison
- Third degree drug possession – punishable by up to $250,000 in fines and 20 years in prison
- Fourth degree drug possession – punishable by up to $100,000 in fines and 15 years in prison
- Fifth degree drug possession – punishable by up to $10,000 in fines and 5 years in prison
The Minneapolis drug defense attorneys at Keller Law Offices will explain your legal options to you, aggressively defend you against the drug crime charges, protect your constitutional rights, and keep your informed of any developments with your case. As a former prosecutor, Max A. Keller has significant criminal trial experience and isn’t afraid to try your case, if necessary, in order to provide an adequate drug crime defense.
Federal Drug Crime Penalties
Conviction of a federal drug crime results in penalties pursuant to the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, which take into account the following factors, among others:
- Whether the offense involved injury to another person
- Whether a weapon was possessed or used
- The defendant’s criminal history
While judges have discretion to depart from sentencing guidelines, they must still adhere to the mandatory minimum sentences within the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. With respect to drug crimes, mandatory minimum sentences start at five years and ten years, depending on the weight and type of the drug. If a drug crime occurs in a school zone or other protected area, sentences and fines may be increased.
Drug Crimes Information Resources
We pride ourselves keeping our clients informed of their legal rights and the progress of their Minnesota drug crime case. Accordingly, we provide a number of helpful drug crime informational resources to clients and potential clients, regarding the following:
- Alternatives to Incarceration in Drug Cases
- Criminal and Civil Forfeiture
- Federal Drug Crimes
- Frequently Asked Questions About Drug Crimes
- Searches and Seizures in Drug Cases
Aggressive Drug Crime Defense Lawyers
At Keller Law Offices, we are dedicated to defending clients facing Minnesota or federal drug crime charges. Contact us today at (952) 913-1421 to schedule a free consultation with a skilled Minneapolis sex crime defense lawyer. We will put our years of experience and exceptional knowledge to work to defend you and protect your rights.