The Minneapolis criminal defense law firm of Keller Law Offices is dedicated to protecting clients’ legal rights and vigorously defending them against criminal charges. We pride ourselves keeping our clients informed of their legal rights and the progress of their case. We take the time to adequately explain the legal and factual issues involved with a case so that our clients can make informed decisions.

If you are facing Minnesota criminal charges, contact the Minneapolis criminal defense law firm of Keller Law Offices at (952) 913-1421 today to schedule a free consultation. In the meantime, below are answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.

What should I do if I am arrested?

If you are arrested, it is very important that you immediately speak with an attorney. Do not make a statement to the police or answer their questions without an attorney present. At Keller Law Offices, we are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to advise clients following an arrest. Contact our office today at (952) 913-1421 to schedule a free consultation.

What is the difference between a felony and misdemeanor?

A felony typically involves more serious charges, with incarceration of more than one year. Misdemeanors or gross misdemeanors are punishable with jail terms of less than one year. Felony convictions will also impact your life for years to come by barring you from holding certain jobs, voting, and carrying a weapon.

What constitutional rights do I have if I am charged with a crime?

The Constitution affords defendants a number of rights, including:

  1. Protection from illegal searches and seizures (4 th Amendment)
  2. Right to remain silent, receive Miranda warnings at the time of arrest, and protection against double jeopardy (5 th Amendment)
  3. Right to a speedy trial, the right to an impartial jury, the right to assistance of counsel, the right to cross-examine witnesses at trial, the right to be informed of the charges and potential punishments, and the right to compel witnesses to appear in court (6 th Amendment)
  4. Prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment (8 th Amendment)
  5. Various due process rights (14 th Amendment)

If I lost my license due to a DWI conviction, is there anything I can do to get my license back?

In most cases, you must challenge the revocation of your driver’s license within 30 days from the date of your arrest by filing an “Implied Consent Petition” with the court administrator’s office and paying the filing fee. Hiring an experienced Minnesota DWI defense attorney like those at Keller Law Offices can be incredibly helpful to getting your license back.

If I lost my driver’s license due to a DWI conviction, how do I get a work permit or limited license?

In order to get a work permit, you must wait the specified mandatory waiting period, which varies from 15 days for most first time offenders (unless you test .20 or more, in which case it is one year) to up to one year, depending on: (1) whether you took the test or refused; (2) whether you tested .16 or more; and (3) the number of prior DWI’s you have. Because of the growing complexity of DWI law, including defenses and penalties, it is highly recommended that you hire an experienced Minnesota DWI defense attorney like Max A. Keller to help you navigate DWI system so that you can obtain a work permit or license reinstatement as soon as possible.

Is there any way my DWI arrest or conviction could be overturned?

A defendant’s conviction may be overturned if his or her constitutional rights were violated during arrest, during questioning, at trial, or at any other phase of the criminal proceeding. For instance, the U.S. Supreme Court held in 2010 in the case of Padilla v. Kentucky, the Supreme Court ruled that a defendant’s right a competent attorney requires that an attorney explain to his or her client the immigration consequences of a criminal conviction. Without such an explanation, a defendant’s conviction may be thrown out. Keller Law Offices has helped numerous clients have their criminal convictions overturned if they did not receive the Padilla summary from their previous attorney.

Many criminal defense attorneys are incapable of appealing a conviction, and will pass off a case if an appeal is necessary. Minnesota criminal defense and appeals attorney Max A. Keller has handled a number of criminal appeals and has considerable knowledge of the appellate process given his previous experiencing working for three judges in the Minnesota Court of Appeals.

Minnesota criminal appeals lawyer Max A. Keller is committed to protecting his clients’ constitutional rights. He has successfully had convictions overturned in appeals taken to the Minnesota Supreme Court and the Minnesota Court of Appeals. In fact, Mr. Keller was the first Minnesota criminal defense attorney to win a felony DWI case before the Minnesota Supreme Court.

How much do you charge?

At Keller Law Offices, we offer a free initial consultation of up to 1/2 hour either by phone or in person. If you decide not to hire us, you will incur no legal fees. If you choose to retain Keller Law offices to defend your rights, you will be charged one flat fee for the defense of your case, from beginning to end of your case whether the case is resolved in a plea agreement or it goes to trial. We accept credit cards, checks, and cash. Payment plans may be available.
Where are your offices located?

Our offices are conveniently located in both Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Minneapolis Office
310 Fourth Avenue South, Suite 1130
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (952) 913-1421

St. Paul office
570 Asbury Street, Suite 302
Hamline Park Office Bldg.
St. Paul, MN 55104
Phone: (952) 913-1421

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your Individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.