Minnesota business liable to prevent underage drinking

When we hear about cases of drunk driving charges or underage drinking, we immediately think only of the suspects directly involved. A recent case in Richfield, however, shows that the law calls for a community as a whole to try to prevent underage drinking and DWI accidents.

How is a local Chinese restaurant related to the topic of alcohol-related accidents and crime? Well, all businesses that serve liquor are essentially legally responsible to protect citizens from dangerously using alcohol while on their premises. A Minnesota couple that runs a Chinese restaurant has found that out the hard way.

According to the Star Tribune, city officials have taken the restaurant’s liquor license away. Apparently, the business has been the destination of many police calls related to alcohol-fueled issues over the past couple of years.

Sources do not indicate whether any DUI cases have been directly related to the restaurant. Besides that, however, city officials reportedly had other incidents – 37 of them in one year – on which to base their decision to strip the restaurant of its liquor license.

In the owners’ defense, their attorney argues that city officials should not have taken away the license as a result of the 37 reported incidents since many of those supposed violations were never actually cited. He suggested that instead of taking away the property’s ability to serve liquor, the owners could hire more security to help prevent alcohol-related incidents and underage drinking.

Authorities were not convinced and stood their ground. The liquor license remains revoked, which could certainly affect the business’ income.


Star Tribune: “Richfield denies Jun Bo liquor license,” Mary Jane Smetanka, 19 Apr. 2011

Max Keller has won countless jury trial cases involving misdemeanors and felonies, sex crimes, and DWI’s. He is a member of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, which only allows the top 50 criminal defense attorneys in the state as members. Max is a frequent speaker at CLE’s and is often asked for advice by other defense attorneys across Minnesota.

Years of Experience: Approx. 20 years
Minnesota Registration Status: Active
Bar & Court Admissions: State of Minnesota Minnesota State Court Minnesota Federal Court 8th Circuit Federal Court of Appeals State of Maryland

What to Do If You Have Been Charged with a Criminal Offense

Knowing how to choose a criminal defense lawyer in Minneapolis, MN, can help you hire a lawyer who will prepare an effective defense strategy and fight for the best result from your case. One of the crucial tips when selecting a criminal defense lawyer is to vet those with relevant experience in cases like yours. You can only do this when you thoroughly understand the charges you are facing.
People anticipating an arrest in Minneapolis, Minnesota, might ask, “What is the role of a defense attorney during an arrest?” A skilled criminal defense attorney can explain your options, ensure the police follow the rules, and protect your rights. The attorney will build a solid defense, talk to the prosecutor, and fight for your best interests.
Knowing when to hire a criminal lawyer for your case in Minnesota can help protect your constitutional rights and turn the odds in your favor. You should retain a criminal lawyer immediately after learning you are under investigation, get arrested, or are charged with a crime. Seasoned criminal lawyers understand the criminal justice system, can build a winning defense strategy, and aggressively push for a positive outcome of your case.