Richfield man faces life in prison for methamphetamine charge

A 26-year-old Richfield man’s life may be over after he recently pled guilty to conspiracy to distribute 50 grams or more of methamphetamine in federal court. The 26-year-old had supposedly been working with a 40-year-old who had repeatedly sold methamphetamine to undercover police officers. It appears that it was only one time that the 26-year-old had actually sold to officers and he had only done so under the direction of the older man. Because he pled guilty, it is unlikely that we will ever learn if the younger man had been selling these drugs willingly.

For this crime, both men face a maximum of life behind bars. And because federal prison does not have a parole system, they will serve their entire sentences, meaning that this 26-year-old may die in prison.

It remains to be seen what the young man was offered in his plea agreement because the United States District Court judge has not yet had a sentencing date. The sentencing hearing has not even been set yet.

As part of the plea agreement, the young man admitted that he sold nearly 1 ounce of methamphetamine to an undercover officer near a carwash in Little Canada. That ounce was only $1,300. Police later raided the home in which the older man had stored his narcotics and they found only 9 ounces of methamphetamine.

As we have mentioned numerous times in this blog, making the decision to plead guilty is something that only a suspect can do, but it should never be undertaken without sound legal advice as to what rights will be foregone during a guilty plea.

Source: Richfield Patch, “Richfield Man Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy to Distribute Methamphetamine,” Caitlin Burgess, Aug. 29, 2012

Learn more about methamphetamine charges on our website.

Max Keller has won countless jury trial cases involving misdemeanors and felonies, sex crimes, and DWI’s. He is a member of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, which only allows the top 50 criminal defense attorneys in the state as members. Max is a frequent speaker at CLE’s and is often asked for advice by other defense attorneys across Minnesota.
Years of Experience: Approx. 20 years
Minnesota Registration Status: Active
Bar & Court Admissions:
State of Minnesota
Minnesota State Court
Minnesota Federal Court
8th Circuit Federal Court of Appeals
State of Maryland”

What to Do If You Have Been Charged with a Criminal Offense

Getting falsely accused of domestic violence in Minnesota may put you at risk of losing your job, custody of your children, or even your home. You may face criminal charges and the accusation may damage your reputation in the community, as people will now view you as an abuser. False domestic violence accusations often happen when couples are in a contentious relationship with a risk of divorce.
The top reasons for license suspension in Minnesota include driving under the influence of alcohol, repeated traffic violations, and failure to appear in court or pay fines. Failure to pay child support, criminal convictions and felonies, medical conditions/disabilities, and drag racing can also lead to license suspension. The suspension takes away your driving privileges, preventing you from driving legally.
Motorists arrested for allegedly driving while impaired might wonder, “Can you refuse a breathalyzer?” In Minnesota, the implied consent law requires a person licensed to drive, control, or operate a vehicle to agree to a chemical test to check for alcohol or other intoxicants in that person’s body. Refusing to submit to a breathalyzer or another chemical test is a crime, often charged as a gross misdemeanor.