What Happens If I Can’t Make Bail?

If you are arrested, one of the first court proceedings that you will attend is the Bail Hearing. During the Bail Hearing, the judge will determine what bail should be required to permit release pending resolution of the charges.

Bail is supposed to be set at an appropriate level to ensure that a defendant will appear in court when ordered to do so. If a defendant then fails to show up for a court appearance, the court will keep the bail – whether cash, a bond, or property – and issue a warrant for the defendant’s arrest. In many cases, bail also includes certain conditions of release imposed on the defendant, such as the requirement that a suspect obey the law or not contact a witness.

Pursuant to the Eighth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, bail cannot be unreasonably excessive. In other words, bail should be used as a mechanism to raise money or to punish the defendant. The sole purpose of bail should be to ensure that the defendant does not flee before the criminal case is over. Unfortunately, some judge set bail at unreasonably high amounts in order to keep the defendant in jail until the case is over. Accordingly, it is highly recommended that you have a criminal defense attorney to advocate on your behalf at the Bail Hearing in order to minimize the risk of an inappropriate bail amount.

If you are unable to make bail at the amount required by the court, the first thing you should do is contact a criminal defense lawyer who can advocate on your behalf for a reduction of bail. You can also request to be released on your own recognizance. In order to be released on your own recognizance, the court will generally require you to show strong ties to the community such that it is unlikely that you will flee. Some factors that can weigh in favor of a release on own recognizance are: residing in the community for many years, family members living the community, employment within the community, and little or no prior criminal record.

What Should I Do If I Was Arrested and Can’t Make Bail?

If you are arrested, it is important that you contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Do not make any statements or answer any questions from the police or prosecution without an attorney present. A criminal defense lawyer can help protect your constitutional rights and advocate on your behalf for an affordable bond amount. If you are unable to post bond, a criminal defense lawyer will advise you on your legal options.

The Minneapolis criminal defense lawyers at Keller Criminal Defense Attorneys are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to advise clients following an arrest. You can contact us at (612) 210-0629 any time, day or night, for criminal defense advice and representation.

He has won jury trial cases in misdemeanor and felony cases and in DWI’s and non-DWI’s. He is a member of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, which only allows the top 50 criminal defense attorneys in the state as members. He is a frequent speaker at CLE’s and is often asked for advice by other defense attorneys across Minnesota.

What to Do If You Have Been Charged with a Criminal Offense

Minnesota’s new marijuana law legalizes marijuana for recreational purposes for adults 21 years or older. The new law makes it unlawful for employers to take action against their employees for off-duty cannabis use. It also prohibits them from refusing to hire an applicant who tests positive for cannabis or requiring applicants to take pre-employment cannabis testing.
Is weed legal in Minnesota? Currently, weed is legal for medical and recreational use in the state. A new Minnesota law legalized weed for recreational use on August 1, 2023. Persons aged 21-years or older may possess or carry a maximum of two ounces of marijuana flower in public.
People arrested or accused of possessing cocaine might ask, “how much coke is a felony?” Possessing controlled substances like cocaine is a felony in Minneapolis, MN. If found with 0 to 3 grams of coke, the crime will be treated as a fifth-degree felony, attracting penalties like $10,000 fines and up to 5 years in jail.