If you were arrested, you likely scared and unsure of where to turn for help. It is important to stay calm, avoid reactionary or antagonistic behavior, and contact a skilled Minnesota criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. The following list highlights just some of the reasons it is important to hire a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible is you are charged with a criminal offense:
- A criminal defense lawyer can help ensure that warrant requirements are met. There are generally two types of warrants that apply to criminal cases – an arrest warrant authorizes a police officer to arrest the person or people named in the warrant, and a search warrant authorizes the police to search evidence at a defined location at a specified time. The legal scope, requirements, and limitations of arrest warrants and search warrants are incredibly complicated with several nuances and exceptions that may apply given a specific situation. A criminal defense lawyer can help ensure that the requirements of an arrest warrant are satisfied and that any evidence obtained without a proper search warrant is excluded from the record.
- A criminal defense lawyer can help you make bail. If you are arrested, one of the first court proceedings that you will attend is the Bail Hearing, during which the judge will determine what bail should be required to permit release pending resolution of the charges. A criminal defense attorney can advocate on your behalf for a reduction of the bail amount and help you make arrangements for obtaining the funds to make bail.
- A criminal defense lawyer will help you avoid any unnecessary and harmful statements. If you are arrested, you must be advised of your Fifth Amendment right to remain silent. A defense lawyer can represent you during any police questioning and ensure that your Fifth Amendment right to remain silent is protected. If any evidence or testimony is obtained in violation of the Fifth Amendment, a criminal defense lawyer will seek to exclude the ill-gotten evidence or testimony from the record.
- A criminal defense lawyer understands the nuances and complexities of the charges that you are facing. Criminal laws – and a defendant’s constitutional rights – are complicated and complex. Even those criminal laws that seem relatively straight-forward can have several exceptions or nuances. A criminal defense lawyer can explain these nuances to you and advise you on your legal rights and options in light of the criminal code.
- A criminal defense lawyer understands the criminal justice system. Because a criminal defense lawyer understands the way that the criminal justice system works, he or she is well-equipped to handle the court proceedings and guide you through the legal process from start to finish while advocating on your behalf for a dismissal or reduction of charges.
Contact a Minnesota Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you are facing criminal charges in Minnesota, the criminal defense lawyers at Keller Law Offices have the experience and skill you need. We are committed to protecting our clients’ rights, reducing or eliminating penalties, and providing knowledgeable legal advice. We maintain constant communication, via phone and email, and treat all of our clients with the utmost respect and dignity. Moreover, we are available to our clients any time, day or night, to handle any pressing legal concerns.
Contact our office at (952) 913-1421 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Minneapolis criminal defense lawyers.