Robbinsdale, Minnesota Police Chief Busted for Soliciting Prostitute

As you may have heard, the Police Chief of Robbinsdale, Minnesota was recently arrested for soliciting a prostitute.  In this case, the Police Chief, Steven D. Smith, was arrested February 20, 2014. The arrest of the police chief, however, did not become public until he was formally charged and appeared in court around March 23, 2014.  Smith, who is 45, was arrested during an Coon Rapids police sting involving an undercover officer in Anoka County who posted an ad on under the “escorts” section.

This incident unfortunate incident cost Smith his job and his police career, as he was forced to resign days before appearing in court.  Chief Smith’s predicament highlights that Many Twin Cities police departments are currently conducting similar stings to bust men looking to hire a prostitute.  Almost  all of these undercover prostitution stings have involved or similar websites.  Typically the ads feature a scantily clad woman, they may mention “escort” services, and they give a phone number to call.  When the potential client calls the number he is directed to a hotel, usually, or in Chief Smith’s case, a private home.  Even a first offense of soliciting a Prostitute in Minnesota can be a Gross Misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $3000 fine and a year in jail.  And under the Minnesota Prostitution law, soliciting a prostitute in a hotel is defined as a “public” place, which makes the offense a Gross Misdemeanor, a more serious offense then a Misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of $1000 and 90 days in jail.

Luckily, if you or someone you know has been charged with soliciting prostitution, there is HELP.  You need the  Best Minnesota Solicitation of Prostitution Defense Attorney.  At Keller Criminal Defense Attorneys, we have represented many client charged with Soliciting a Prostitute.  We have represented doctors, State Senators, executives of major Minnesota Corporations, etc.  We have handled soliciting cases in cities such as St. Paul, Maplewood, and Coon Rapids.  We may be able to get your case reduced from a Gross Misdemeanor to a Misdemeanor.  We may also be able to get your case kept off your record by use of a Continuance for Dismissal (CFD) or a Continuance Without Plea (CWOP).  We can also possibly keep the case off your record by a Stay of Adjudication. If you are NOT a citizen of the U.S., then of course a straight up guilty plea could make you deportable or inadmissible (if you leave the country you can’t get back in). Because of all the consequences that can come with a one-time mistake, you must contact the experienced attorneys at KELLER LAW OFFICES now for help in your case to preserve your clean record, your job, your family, and your FREEDOM.

Max Keller has won countless jury trial cases involving misdemeanors and felonies, sex crimes, and DWI’s. He is a member of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, which only allows the top 50 criminal defense attorneys in the state as members. Max is a frequent speaker at CLE’s and is often asked for advice by other defense attorneys across Minnesota.

What to Do If You Have Been Charged with a Criminal Offense

Getting falsely accused of domestic violence in Minnesota may put you at risk of losing your job, custody of your children, or even your home. You may face criminal charges and the accusation may damage your reputation in the community, as people will now view you as an abuser. False domestic violence accusations often happen when couples are in a contentious relationship with a risk of divorce.
The top reasons for license suspension in Minnesota include driving under the influence of alcohol, repeated traffic violations, and failure to appear in court or pay fines. Failure to pay child support, criminal convictions and felonies, medical conditions/disabilities, and drag racing can also lead to license suspension. The suspension takes away your driving privileges, preventing you from driving legally.
Motorists arrested for allegedly driving while impaired might wonder, “Can you refuse a breathalyzer?” In Minnesota, the implied consent law requires a person licensed to drive, control, or operate a vehicle to agree to a chemical test to check for alcohol or other intoxicants in that person’s body. Refusing to submit to a breathalyzer or another chemical test is a crime, often charged as a gross misdemeanor.